“Banquette seating surrounds the room and a high shelf is adorned with sporting trophies. The pub has a friendly atmosphere and visitors are made welcome. Traditional board games, including dominoes, are often played and occasionally there is live music”. (whatpub.com)
The publican tenant during 1894 - 1901 was William Chisolm who was also tenant of the House and Billiard Room mentioned above.
In the 1898 -1904 valuation roll, James Wight, now of Maitland Street, (moving to Shandwick place by 1903), was letting his shop and cellar to tenant James Orr, a Grocer, born in Leith in 1875.
Ewens wife, listed as ‘a Publican’s Wife’ is living at this time with the Simpson Family in Larbert, her sister Helen was married to John Simpson.
In August 1903 the Gazette reported that Ewen was leaving to go to South Africa. “Naval men will regret to hear that Mr. Ewen Cameron, the genial proprietor of the Anchor Bar will shortly leave Queensferry for South Africa.
During his stay here Mr. Cameron has made himself universally popular. A gentleman of great affability and exceedingly good-hearted, he made himself the friend of all, and his excellent manner and gentlemanly bearing particularly endeared him to those on board ship. There is many a bluejacket and marine, now absent from Queensferry who revered Mr. Cameron and on returning to the town will deplore the fact that he is gone from our midst.
He is going to the land of the gold mines, and should he, as a result of his well-known industry and business aptitude, annex as much of the precious metal as to make him a millionaire, he will remember Queensferry which is not well blessed with amenities. He is wished bon voyage from everyone when he leaves in a few weeks”. (He can't be found on Emigration lists to South Africa, Did he actually get there?)
In 1907/1908 Valuation, James Wight still Proprietor, now living in Greenside, Grantshouse, Duns, let his house at No: 16, to David Reid, a Forrester, and the cellar to George Mackay, a Grocer.
An Archibald Stewart is in the 1911 census living in Dalry Road, with wife Henrietta, he is a Spirit Trade Merchant. As a Wine and Spirit Merchant, living in Blackhall, he died in 1933, aged 51. His wife Henrietta died in 1961 aged 75. Perhaps this is the same person.
Another Archibald, Archibald Wood, was Publican from 1931 until 1933 when he became “incapacitated”.
On 21st April 1933 the Gazette reported “William Mackie, Newhalls Cottage applied as a new tenant for the public house certificate of the Anchor Bar.
Mr. Mackie's solicitor reported that the current licensee Mr. Archibald Wood was incapacitated and could not continue. The premises were satisfactory and business was well conducted and Mr. Mackie had 25 years of experience in the trade. The application was unanimously granted”. An Archibald Wood, Spirit Merchant Manager, of Leith Walk, died in the Western General Hospital in 1933. This may be the same person.
At the same time as the license application, there was also an application for renewal of transferred certificate of the Anchor Bar by Mrs Janet Shapley, of Ambleside Cottage, Queensferry, widow of Samuel Shapley, a Publican (presumably of the Anchor Bar). Janet was Samuels’ second wife. His first wife, Williamina, died in January 1943 and he married Janet in May 1944. They only had 2 years of married life together, as Samuel died of Heart Failure in the Forth Bridge Hotel, in March 1946, aged 63. Janet died in Newington in 1982 aged 98.
1963/64 – Proprietors, British Linen Bank Ltd (Nominees). Tenant –Scottish Brewers ltd - Publican, Ian Spowart
1970/71 – Proprietors British Linen Bank Ltd (nominees). Tenant - Peter Philp
1980/ 83 - Proprietor -Alan Stewart - Alan remained in Queensferry, living in Plewlands House with his mother until both moved to Orkney some time mid to late 80s. Alan recently passed away in, Orkney.
The next proprietor of the Anchor Inn was Brian Hawkins, who converted 'The 39 Steps' into a Pierre Victoire Franchise which he sublet, and eventually closed. He then converted the upstairs into flats, which they still are.
Around 1998 – Brian sold the Anchor to Frank & Carol Brown. Frank had experience as barman and Manager of the Anchor, over many years at various times.
Since then it has been run as a lease by a series of lesse’s including a Marie ? (Does anyone know her surname please?), then Denise Young, followed by Derek Service.