The order of the Carmelite, or White Friars takes its name from Mount Carmel in the Holy Land, where its members first had a church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. After the failure of the Crusades, they were scattered throughout Europe, settling where they could, and always dedicating their churches to St Mary of the Mount Carmel.
The rocks to the North of the Church show traces of a cutting to form a landing stage for the ferry boats and other vessels. It is probable that, in addition to their daily round of worship and their farming and teaching activities, the friars maintained a hostel for travellers delayed by bad weather.
It lay neglected in the outhouse of deceased Bailie John Syme, Shipmaster until 1750 when the members of the Town Council said it should be hung somewhere, so it was erected in the tower of the Council Buildings, now 'Roseberry Hall'
The bell became known as "The Seamen's Bell", a cherished possession which served the town for many years.
In later days when the steeple of the tower was reconstructed for the 'Jubilee Clock' It was removed and lay on the floor three stories up, for many years until it was decided to loan the bell to the Scottish Episcopal Church to grace the East Gable of the Carmelite Church, and to this day it still hangs there but no longer responds to the bell rope.
Outside, on the right hand side of the easternmost window in the south wall is what is known as a "mass clock" in fact a sort of sundial with 24 radiating lines and a socket for a gnomon which has vanished, this was used to regulate the times of services before the invention of clocks.