It was reported in the Gazette in 1917 that the remaining overhead telegraph and telephone wires would be placed underground. Some had already been placed underground previously. The section running from the east end of the town to the foot of the Hawes Brae posed no problems, however the western portion was expected to cause traffic inconvenience in the narrow areas of the High Street and Hopetoun Road. (nothing changed there then!)
Telephone numbers have changed through the years and here are some old numbers for businesses in Queensferry and along the High Street. The connections were dealt with through a telephone exchange in Bank Buildings.
We have not listed present day numbers as we are not a Telephone Directory, but a History Group. Over time more numbers may be added.
(Information taken from old Ferry Fair Programmes).
‘Forth Bridge Hotel’, now the ‘Ferry Tap’ – Queensferry 84
‘Walkers Grocer’, now the ‘Queens Spice’ – Queensferry 97
‘Fairlie Butcher’, now’ Maisies’ – Queensferry 12
‘Hawes Garage’, still ‘Hawes Garage’ - Queensferry 23
‘Newhalls Hotel’, now the ‘Hawes Inn’ - Queensferry 15
(Interestingly by the 1950's the 'Hawes Inn' number had changed to -
‘The Regal Café’, and the Regal Picture House, demolished
(was next to Rosebery Clock Tower) - Queensferry 259 ‘Bryces Dairy’, now private housing in Brewery Close - Queensferry 220
‘Walter Scott Motor Hirer’, which was the Green Park next to Masonic Hall – Queensferry 211
‘David Davidson Grocer’, now ‘Mauritzio’s’ at Sealscraig - Queensferry 264
‘St.Elia’s Café’, now ‘Antico’ at Orroco Pier - Queensferry 246
Greenfields, now Mauritzios on Hopetoun Road - Queensferry 335
Hillwood Co-op Draper/Fashion, now The Little Bakery - Queensferry 213
Marshall Morrison & Ass. Architects &Town Planners, Black Castle, now all private - Queensferry 681