It has late 19th century alterations, and has an attic with large dormer windows and steps down to the basement on the East side. This building is sited on a steep gradient resulting in a single storey appearance from the South.
Above Catherine Bank were a number of houses, now demolished, called Catherine Terrace. Affectionately known as "The Brickies" they were built around 1883 to house the construction workers for the Forth Rail Bridge.
The first mention of ownership is dated 1720 in the appeal for a ‘Charter of Novodamus’ in 1862 by Helen and Ann Elder in order to establish their ownership, as earlier title deeds were missing. More information on this further on.
John Cullen sold the property, the lower western flat, for £15.00, to James Wood, a Joiner, on 12th November 1862. James married Janet Kerr in Queensferry in 1830, but sadly she died. He then married Catherine MacLaren in Queensferry on 3rd March 1850 .
Helen and Anne were unable to recover earlier title deeds in order to establish their ownership so on 30th June 1862 a ‘Charter of Novodamus’ was granted as warrant of registration via George Dundas of Dundas Estates, at that time Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island, Canada. 15 shillings fue duty was paid in respect of the Charter. (A charter of Novodamus, in Scottish feudal land law, is a fresh grant of lands to the grantee. It is usually granted to make some change in the incidents of tenure of land already granted, or to resolve doubts about the grant or its terms).
Helen and Anne sold the property to James Wood on 3rd July 1862, three days later, for £40 sterling.
It seems by 1863 James Wood now owns the entirety of Catherine Bank. He proceeded to make alterations to the building. He is given credit as ‘erecting’ Catherine Bank in the Disposition by grandson William George Wood, to the Co-operative Building Society, in respect of the purchase of the property by Thomas and Moira Watson in 1955.
James Wood died on 23rd January 1884 in West Terrace, Queensferry aged 86 years, notified by his son David Wood of London. Catherine was living in Trafalgar Cottage, Queensferry when she died on 11th August 1888 aged 77 years.
Janet sold to William Goodsir Leitch, living in Kirkaldy, for £37,000 in November 1984.
In 1989 Dr Hugh Fraser and Miss Janet Reid Scott purchased the two lower flats from William and Eleanor Clark for £71,000. No deeds were found.
In 1990 Dr Hugh Fraser and Miss Janet Reid Scott sold 6 Stoneycroft Road, the two lowermost floors and garden, for £74,000, to Miss Hilary Sharman, who later that year sold them back to Hugh and Janet. In 1990, Rentokil produced a certificate of guarantee for treatment of rising damp and wood boring infestation and in 1992 a repairs grant was awarded to H Fraser for 6 Stoneycroft (Lower Flats)
In 2004, William Goodsir Leitch now living in Nagasaki, sold 5 Stoneycroft Road (upper flats) to Jon Davies and Alison Powell. They later purchased the lower flats (No. 6), and subsequently sold the entire property to the present owners. At present No 6 is a private dwelling and No 5 is 'Forth Reflections, Self Catering Holiday Accommodation', link to website below.
This information is extracted from Dispositions, Titles, and other papers regarding the sales of Catherine Bank.
Additional information taken from Ancestry, Find My Past, census and valuation records and Scotland’s People.